The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 33 : Human Services
Chapter 012 : REACH AHEAD
Subchapter 001 : ELIGIBILITY AND ASSISTANCE(Cite as: 33 V.S.A. § 1201)
§ 1201. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Adult” means an individual who:
(A) is 18 years of age or older and not a dependent child; or
(B) is under 18 years of age and:
(i) is pregnant; or
(ii) is a parent who is the caretaker for a dependent child.
(2) “Barrier” means any physical, emotional, or mental condition; any lack of an educational, vocational, or other skill or ability; and any lack of transportation, child care, housing, medical assistance or other services or resources, domestic violence circumstances, caretaker responsibilities, or other conditions or circumstances that prevent an individual from engaging in employment or other work activity.
(3) “Caretaker” means an individual age 18 or older who is fulfilling a parental role in caring for a dependent child by providing physical care, guidance, and decision making related to the child’s health, school, medical care, and discipline.
(4) “Commissioner” means the Commissioner for Children and Families or his or her designee.
(5) “Department” means the Department for Children and Families.
(6) “Dependent child” means a child who is a resident of this State and:
(A) is under 18 years of age; or
(B) is 18 years of age or older who is a full-time student in a secondary school, or attending an equivalent level of vocational or technical training, and is reasonably expected to complete the educational program before reaching 19 years of age or is not expected to complete the educational program before reaching 19 years of age solely due to a documented disability.
(7) “Eligible family” means a family that meets the requirements in section 1203 of this chapter.
(8) “Family” means:
(A) one or more dependent children living with one or both parents or a relative or caretaker of such children; or
(B) a pregnant individual.
(9) “Food assistance” means a monthly benefit to supplement the family’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits as determined under section 1204 of this chapter.
(10) “Living with a relative or caretaker” means living with a caretaker or relative in a residence maintained by the caretaker or one or more relatives at his or her or their home.
(11) “Parent” means a biological parent, stepparent, adoptive parent, or pregnant individual.
(12) “Participant” or “participating adult” means an adult member of a participating family.
(13) “Participating family” means an eligible family that participates in the Reach Ahead program.
(14) “Reach Ahead services” means the service component of the Reach Ahead program consisting of case management services, support services, and referrals provided to eligible families to assist them in maintaining self-sufficiency.
(15) “Reach First” means the program established under chapter 10 of this title.
(16) “Reach Up” means the program established under chapter 11 of this title.
(17) “Relative” means a person related to a dependent child, as defined by the Department by rule.
(18) “Temporary Assistance to Needy Families” or “TANF” means the block grant provided to this State and established in accordance with Part A of Title IV of the federal Social Security Act, as amended, and the regulations promulgated under the Act by the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. (Added 2007, No. 30, § 18, eff. Oct. 1, 2008; amended 2013, No. 131 (Adj. Sess.), § 31, eff. May 20, 2014; 2021, No. 20, § 287; 2021, No. 105 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 606, 607, eff. July 1, 2022.)