The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 009 : RECOUNTS AND CONTEST OF ELECTIONS(Cite as: 17 V.S.A. § 2602b)
§ 2602b. Assignment of duties; recount materials
(a)(1) The county clerk, with the support of the Secretary of State, shall supervise the recount and shall recruit town clerks or their designees to serve as impartial assistants to the county clerk for operating the vote tabulators and shall consult with the Secretary of State to identify any vote tabulators to be used.
(2) The county clerk may appoint a sufficient number of additional impartial assistants to perform tasks that have not been assigned to recount committee members.
(3) On each day of the recount, the town clerk of any town subject to the recount shall be available to the county clerk in person or by telephone to answer any questions the county clerk may have regarding that town's election.
(b)(1) The county clerk shall assign committee members to the following teams:
(A) Counting teams comprising at least four persons each, consisting of an equal number of persons representing each candidate, to the extent possible;
(B) One vote tabulator team, comprising two persons, each of whom represents a different candidate; and
(C) One clerk observer team, comprising two persons, one of whom is from the list of the petitioning candidate and one of whom, if possible, is from the list of the winning candidate who received the lowest number of votes.
(2) Any additional team members shall remain unassigned and shall be used as necessary on the day of the recount.
(c) The Secretary of State shall provide to the recount committee:
(1) fresh seals, manila tags, tally sheets, summary sheets for each town, and other material deemed appropriate by the Secretary of State; and
(2) the official return of votes for each town subject to the recount. (Added 1985, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; amended 2013, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 42; 2015, No. 30, § 20, eff. May 26, 2015; 2017, No. 50, § 1.)