The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
§ 1002. License required; application; fee; issuance
(a)(1) No person shall engage in the retail sale of tobacco products, tobacco substitutes, or tobacco paraphernalia in his or her place of business without a tobacco license obtained from the Division of Liquor Control.
(2) No person shall engage in the retail sale of tobacco substitutes without also obtaining a tobacco substitute endorsement from the Division of Liquor Control.
(3) Tobacco licenses and tobacco substitute endorsements shall expire at midnight, April 30, of each year.
(b)(1) The Board shall prepare and issue tobacco license and tobacco substitute endorsement forms and applications. These shall be incorporated into the liquor license forms and applications prepared and issued under this title.
(2) The licenses issued under this section shall be entitled "LIQUOR LICENSE," "LIQUOR-TOBACCO LICENSE," or "TOBACCO LICENSE," as applicable. The endorsements issued under this section shall be entitled "TOBACCO SUBSTITUTE ENDORSEMENT."
(3) The Board shall also provide simple instructions for licensees, designed to assist them in complying with the provisions of this chapter.
(c) Each tobacco license and tobacco substitute endorsement shall be prominently displayed on the premises identified in the license.
(d)(1) For a license or endorsement required under this section, a person shall apply to the legislative body of the municipality and shall pay the following fees:
(A) to the Division of Liquor Control, the applicable liquor license fee provided in section 204 of this title for a liquor license and a tobacco license;
(B) to the legislative body of the municipality, a fee of $110.00 for a tobacco license or renewal; and
(C) to the legislative body of the municipality, a fee of $50.00 for a tobacco substitute endorsement as provided in subdivision (a)(2) of this section.
(2) The municipal clerk shall forward the application to the Division, and the Division shall issue the tobacco license and the tobacco substitute endorsement, as applicable, and shall forward all fees to the Commissioner for deposit in the Liquor Control Enterprise Fund.
(e) A person who sells tobacco products, tobacco substitutes, or tobacco paraphernalia without obtaining a tobacco license and a tobacco substitute endorsement, as applicable, in violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and fined not more than $200.00 for the first offense and not more than $500.00 for each subsequent offense.
(f) No individual under 16 years of age may sell tobacco products, tobacco substitutes, or tobacco paraphernalia.
(g) No person shall engage in the retail sale of tobacco products in the State unless the person is a licensed wholesale dealer as defined in 32 V.S.A. § 7702 or has purchased the tobacco products from a licensed wholesale dealer. (Added 1991, No. 70, § 2, eff. May 1, 1992; amended 1997, No. 58, § 2; 2007, No. 114 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 2013, No. 14, § 2; 2013, No. 72, § 28; 2015, No. 149 (Adj. Sess.), § 40; 2017, No. 83, § 131; 2018, No. 1 (Sp. Sess.), § 83.)