The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 601. Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Sexual Abuse
(a) There is established within the Agency of Human Services the Vermont Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Sexual Abuse (the Center). The Center shall be jointly overseen by the Commissioner of Corrections and the Commissioner for Children and Families.
(b) The purpose of the Center shall be to protect Vermont’s citizens from sexual assault and child sexual abuse. The Center shall oversee Vermont’s systematic response to sexual assault and child sexual abuse, while recognizing that many agencies, organizations, and individuals have their own independent roles and responsibilities within this system.
(c) The responsibilities of the Center shall include:
(1) coordinating sex offender treatment programs in correctional and juvenile institutions and in the community;
(2) coordinating victim and family treatment programs;
(3) providing support to sexual abuse prevention programs statewide and in local communities;
(4) providing training to recognize and prevent sexual abuse in consultation with the Department of Corrections, the Department for Children and Families, the Department of Mental Health, the Department of State’s Attorneys and Sheriffs, and other agencies, organizations, and individuals as are desirable and necessary;
(5) providing a central organization for the acquisition and dissemination of information regarding best practices for the prevention of sexual violence; the treatment and supervision of adult and juvenile offenders; the provision of victims services; judicial practices conducive to public protection and the supervision of offenders; protocols for coordinated investigations of allegations of child sexual abuse; and any other information that may be beneficial in aiding Vermont’s response to sexual abuse;
(6) making available an array of services to sexually abused children and their family members; and
(7) providing grants to community agencies to further the Center’s purpose of protecting Vermont’s citizens from sexual assault and child sexual abuse.
(d) The Commissioner of Corrections and the Commissioner for Children and Families shall be responsible for maintaining and providing staffing for the center. (Added 2009, No. 1, § 12, eff. March 4, 2009; amended 2011, No. 139 (Adj. Sess.), § 37, eff. May 14, 2012.)