The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 8001. Program established
(a) The State Treasurer or designee shall have the authority to establish the Vermont Achieving A Better Life Experience (ABLE) Savings Program consistent with the provisions of this chapter under which a person may make contributions for a taxable year, for the benefit of an individual who is an eligible individual for such taxable year, to an ABLE account which is established for the purpose of meeting the qualified disability expenses of the designated beneficiary of the account; and which:
(1) limits a designated beneficiary to one ABLE account for purposes of this section;
(2) allows for the establishment of an ABLE account only for a designated beneficiary who is a resident of Vermont or a resident of a contracting State; and
(3) meets the other requirements of this chapter.
(b)(1) The Treasurer or designee may solicit proposals from financial organizations to implement the Program as account depositories and managers.
(2) A financial organization that submits a proposal shall describe the investment instruments which will be held in accounts.
(3) The Treasurer shall select from among the applicants one or more financial organizations that demonstrate the most advantageous combination, both to potential program participants and this State, of the following criteria:
(A) the financial stability and integrity of the financial organization;
(B) the safety of the investment instrument offered;
(C) the ability of the financial organization to satisfy recordkeeping and reporting requirements;
(D) the financial organization's plan for promoting the program and the investment the organization is willing to make to promote the program;
(E) the fees, if any, proposed to be charged to the account owners;
(F) the minimum initial deposit and minimum contributions that the financial organization will require:
(G) the ability of the financial organization to accept electronic withdrawals, including payroll deduction plans; and
(H) other benefits to the State or its residents included in the proposal, including fees payable to the State to cover expenses of operation of the Program.
(c) The Treasurer or designee shall have the authority to implement the Program in cooperation with one or more states or other partners in the manner he or she determines is in the best interests of the State and designated beneficiaries.
(d) The Treasurer or designee shall have the authority to adopt rules, policies, and procedures necessary to implement the provisions of this chapter and comply with applicable federal law. (Added 2015, No. 51, § C.7, eff. June 3, 2015; amended 2015, No. 157 (Adj. Sess.), § F.2, eff. June 2, 2016.)