The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : PROBATION(Cite as: 33 V.S.A. § 5272)
§ 5272. Juvenile Justice Unit; Juvenile Justice Director
(a) A Juvenile Justice Unit is created in the Family Services Division of the Department. The Unit shall be headed by a Juvenile Justice Director.
(b) The Juvenile Justice Director shall have the responsibility and authority to monitor and coordinate all State and participating regional and local programs that deal with juvenile justice issues, including prevention, education, enforcement, adjudication, and rehabilitation.
(c) The Juvenile Justice Director shall ensure that the following occur:
(1) development of a comprehensive plan for a coordinated and sustained statewide program to reduce the number of juvenile offenders, involving State, regional, and local officials in the areas of health, education, prevention, law enforcement, corrections, teen activities, and community wellness;
(2) cooperation among State, regional, and local officials; court personnel; service providers; and law enforcement agencies in the formulation and execution of a coordinated statewide juvenile justice program;
(3) cooperation among appropriate departments, including the Department; the Agency of Education; the Departments of Corrections, of Labor, of Mental Health, of Public Safety, and Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living; and the Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs;
(4) a study of issues relating to juvenile justice and development of recommendations regarding changes in law and rules, as deemed advisable; and
(5) compilation of data on issues relating to juvenile justice and analysis, study, and organization of such data for use by educators, researchers, policy advocates, administrators, legislators, and the Governor. (Added 2007, No. 185 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Jan. 1, 2009.)