The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 4602. Building Bright Futures Council
(a) The Building Bright Futures Program shall be governed by a statewide council comprising no more than 23 members. The Building Bright Futures Council's membership shall be as follows:
(1) The Secretary of Human Services or designee.
(2) The Secretary of Commerce and Community Development or designee.
(3) The Secretary of Education or designee.
(4) The Commissioner for Children and Families or designee.
(5) The Commissioner of Health or designee.
(6) The Commissioner of Mental Health or designee.
(7) One member of the House of Representatives, appointed by the Speaker of the House.
(8) One member of the Senate, appointed by the Senate Committee on Committees.
(9) The Head Start Collaboration Office Director.
(10) Fourteen at-large members, appointed by the Governor based on their commitment to early childhood well-being and representing a range of perspectives and geographic diversity. The Governor shall consider the recommendations of the Council's nominating committee. One of the at-large members shall be a representative of a local Head Start program and one shall be a member of a school board, to be recommended by the Vermont School Boards Association.
(b)(1) An individual designated to participate on the Council on behalf of a Secretary or Commissioner listed in subsection (a) of this section shall count toward a quorum of the Council and shall be permitted to vote on Council business.
(2) In the event of a vacancy in one of the at-large member positions on the Council, the remaining members shall endeavor to fill the vacancy with an individual representing a perspective or geographic area not currently represented on the Council.
(c) Technical assistance to the Council shall be provided by staff within the Agency of Education and the Departments of Health and for Children and Families.
(d) For Council meetings held when the General Assembly is not in session, the legislative members of the Council shall be entitled to per diem compensation and reimbursement of expenses in accordance with 2 V.S.A. § 23. Members of the Council who are not State employees or whose participation is not supported through their employment or association may be entitled to compensation and reimbursement for expenses for attending meetings of the Council under 32 V.S.A. § 1010 to the extent funds are available.
(e) The Council shall function as a public-private partnership with the ability to raise and disburse funds.
(f) The Council shall support the establishment of, and maintenance of relationships with, regional councils providing regional capacity to further the Council's goals. (Added 2009, No. 104 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 12, 2010; amended No. 156 (Adj. Sess.), § E.318.1, eff. May 12, 2010; 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 298, eff. Feb. 14, 2014; 2013, No. 100 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. April 8, 2014; 2021, No. 20, § 330.)