The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : Vermont Employment Growth Incentive Program(Cite as: 32 V.S.A. § 3339)
§ 3339. Recapture; reduction; repayment
(1) The Department of Taxes may recapture the value of one or more installment payments a business has claimed, with interest, if:
(A) the business fails to file a claim as required in section 3338 of this title;
(B) during the utilization period, the business experiences:
(i) a 90 percent or greater reduction from base employment; or
(ii) if it had no jobs at the time of application, a 90 percent or greater reduction from the sum of its job performance requirements; or
(C) the Department determines that during the application or claims process the business knowingly made a false attestation that the business:
(i) was not a named party to, or was in compliance with, an administrative order, consent decree, or judicial order issued by the State or a subdivision of the State; or
(ii) was in compliance with State laws and regulations.
(2) If the Department determines that a business is subject to recapture under subdivision (1) of this subsection, the business becomes ineligible to earn or claim an additional incentive or installment payment for the remainder of the utilization period.
(3) Notwithstanding any other statute of limitations, the Department may commence a proceeding to recapture amounts under subdivision (1) of this subsection as follows:
(A) under subdivision (1)(A) of this subsection, no later than three years from the last day of the utilization period; and
(B) under subdivision (1)(B) of this subsection, no later than three years from date the business experiences the reduction from base employment, or three years from the last day of the utilization period, whichever occurs first.
(b) Reduction; recapture. If a business fails to make capital investments that equal or exceed the sum of its capital investment performance requirements by the end of the award period:
(1) The Department shall:
(A) calculate a reduced incentive by multiplying the combined value of the business's award period incentives by the same proportion that the business's total actual capital investments bear to the sum of its capital investment performance requirements; and
(B) reduce the value of any remaining installment payments for which the business is eligible by the same proportion.
(2) If the value of the installment payments the business has already received exceeds the value of the reduced incentive, then:
(A) the business becomes ineligible to claim any additional installment payments for the award period; and
(B) the Department shall recapture the amount by which the value of the installment payments the business has already received exceeds the value of the reduced incentive.
(c) Tax liability.
(1) A person who has the duty and authority to remit taxes under this title shall be personally liable for an installment payment that is subject to recapture under this section.
(2) For purposes of this section, the Department of Taxes may use any enforcement or collection action available for taxes owed pursuant to chapter 151 of this title. (Added 2015, No. 157 (Adj. Sess.), § H.1, eff. Jan. 1, 2017; amended 2017, No. 69, § A.1, eff. June 28, 2017.)