The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 31 : Recreation and Sports
Chapter 014 : STATE LOTTERY
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 31 V.S.A. § 651)
§ 651. Powers and duties of Board of Liquor and Lottery
The Board of Liquor and Lottery shall adopt rules pursuant to 3 V.S.A. chapter 25, governing the establishment and operation of the State Lottery. The rules may include the following:
(1) Types of lotteries to be conducted, provided that no lottery shall be conducted that depends upon the outcome of an athletic contest except that the lottery may be affiliated with a sporting event, or sweepstakes, where the outcome is determined solely by lot or random drawing and not by choice of the lottery participant.
(2) Price of lottery tickets.
(3) Number and size of prizes.
(4) Manner of payment of prizes.
(5) Manner and frequency of drawings.
(6) The licensing of agents, provided that:
(A) no person who has not attained the age of majority shall be licensed as an agent; and
(B) no agent shall be in the business of solely selling lottery tickets.
(7) Lottery product sales locations, which may include State agency liquor stores; private business establishments, except establishments holding first- or first- and third-class licenses pursuant to Title 7; fraternal, religious, and volunteer organizations; town clerks’ offices; and State fairs, race tracks, and other sporting arenas.
(8) Method for sale of tickets, provided that they may be sold only for cash.
(9) Manner of compensation of sales agents, claims agents, and financial institutions involved in the operation of the Lottery.
(10) Manner of selecting winning tickets.
(11) Apportionment of total revenues, within limits hereinafter specified, accruing to the State Lottery Fund among:
(A) the payment of prizes to winning ticket holders;
(B) the payment of all costs incurred in the creation, operation, and administration of the State Lottery, including compensation of the Board, Commissioner of Liquor and Lottery, employees of the Department of Liquor and Lottery, consultants, and contractors and other necessary expenses;
(C) the repayment of monies advanced to the State Lottery Fund for initial funding of the State Lottery;
(D) the transfer of monies to the Education Fund established by 16 V.S.A. § 4025, to be used solely for the purposes of State and local funding of public education. (Added 1977, No. 82, § 2, eff. April 27, 1977; amended 1997, No. 60, § 86, eff. July 1, 1998; 2015, No. 23, § 135; 2015, No. 57, § 97, eff. July 2, 2016; 2015, No. 172 (Adj. Sess.), § E.141; 2018, No. 1 (Sp. Sess.), § 90.)