Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2023-2024 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.

NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.

Title 29 : Public Property and Supplies

Chapter 059 : Surplus Property

(Cite as: 29 V.S.A. § 1556)
  • § 1556. State surplus property

    (a) All material, equipment, and supplies found to be surplus by any State agency or department shall be transferred to the Commissioner of Buildings and General Services. The Commissioner of Buildings and General Services shall be responsible for the disposal of surplus State property. The Commissioner of Buildings and General Services may:

    (1) transfer the property to any other State agency or department having a justifiable need for the property, or transfer to any municipality, school, or nonprofit organization having a justifiable need as determined by a State agency or department, and assess an administrative fee if deemed appropriate;

    (2) store or warehouse the property for future needs of the State;

    (3) transfer the property to municipalities for town highways and bridges;

    (4) after giving priority to the provisions of subdivisions (1), (2), and (3) of this subsection, transfer used bridge beams and other surplus material, equipment, and supplies to VAST, the local affiliates of VAST, or to municipalities cooperating with VAST or municipalities developing and maintaining their own trail system;

    (5) recondition and repair any property for use or sale when economically feasible;

    (6) sell surplus property by any suitable means, including bids or auctions;

    (7) donate, at no charge, surplus motor vehicles and related equipment, to any nonprofit entity engaged in rehabilitating and redistributing motor vehicles to Vermont residents with low income, provided that the Commissioner has first attempted to sell or satisfy the needs of the State for the vehicles or equipment concerned.

    (b) Any municipality, school, or nonprofit organization that receives a transfer of property pursuant to this section shall assume ownership of the property from the State. (Added 1979, No. 164 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. April 25, 1980; amended 1995, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 4(a), eff. May 6, 1996; 1997, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 76, eff. April 29, 1998; 2001, No. 141 (Adj. Sess.), § 28, eff. June 21, 2002; 2015, No. 160 (Adj. Sess.), § 27, eff. June 2, 2016.)