The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 28 V.S.A. § 353)
§ 353. Powers and responsibilities of the Commissioner of Corrections; supervised community sentence
The Commissioner shall be charged with the following powers and responsibilities regarding the administration of supervised community sentences:
(1) To maintain general supervision and treatment of persons serving a supervised community sentence.
(2) To establish alternative sentencing programs for the sanction, treatment, and control of offenders sentenced under this chapter and, in the Commissioner's discretion, to require payment of reasonable fees for such services.
(3) To award grants to local private or public agencies for the development and operation of alternative community programs in furtherance of the goals and purposes of this chapter, in accordance with policies established in this chapter and within the limits of any appropriation made for this purpose.
(4) In accordance with 3 V.S.A. chapter 25, to adopt rules consistent with the provisions of this chapter regarding the supervision, maintenance, treatment, and all attendant matters, including standards for the deletion, addition, and modification of conditions, to be applied to offenders sentenced to a term of imprisonment under a supervised community sentence.
(5) To detain for safekeeping at a correctional facility any offender who allegedly has violated the conditions of supervision pending a hearing before the Parole Board.
(6) To give to the Parole Board, or its properly accredited representatives, access at all reasonable times to any offender who has been sentenced under this chapter and provide the Board or its representatives such reports as the Board may require concerning the conduct of any offender under the supervision of the Commissioner and any other facts considered by the Board pertinent in determining whether the supervised community sentence should be revoked or continued. (Added 1989, No. 291 (Adj. Sess.), § 4.)