The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 008 : Uniform Real Property Electronic Recording Act(Cite as: 27 V.S.A. § 622)
§ 622. Definitions
For the purposes of this subchapter:
(1) “Document” means information that is:
(A) inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form; and
(B) eligible to be recorded in the land records maintained by the recorder.
(2) “Electronic” means relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic, or similar capabilities.
(3) “Electronic document” means a document that is received by the recorder in an electronic form.
(4) “Electronic signature” means an electronic sound, symbol, or process attached to or logically associated with a document and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the document.
(5) “Person” means an individual; corporation; business trust; estate; trust; partnership; limited liability company; association; joint venture; public corporation; government; governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality; or any other legal or commercial entity.
(6) “Recorder” means a town clerk, pursuant to 24 V.S.A. § 1154, or a county clerk, pursuant to subchapter 3 of this chapter, responsible for recording deeds and other instruments or evidences respecting real estate.
(7) “State” means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (Added 2021, No. 171 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. July 1, 2022.)