The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : EXECUTION AND ACKNOWLEDGMENT(Cite as: 27 V.S.A. § 341)
§ 341. Requirements generally; recording
(a) Deeds and other conveyances of lands, or of an estate or interest therein, shall be signed by the party granting the same and acknowledged by the grantor before a town clerk, notary public, master, or county clerk and recorded at length in the clerk's office of the town in which such lands lie. Such acknowledgment before a notary public shall be valid without an official seal being affixed to his or her signature.
(b) A deed or other conveyance of land which includes a reference to a survey prepared or revised after July 1, 1988 may be recorded only if it is accompanied by the survey to which it refers, or cites the volume and page in the land records showing where the survey has previously been recorded.
(c) A lease of real property that has a term of more than one year from the making of the lease need not be recorded at length if a notice or memorandum of lease, which is executed and acknowledged as provided in subsection (a) of this section, is recorded in the land records of the town in which the leased property is situated. The notice of lease shall contain at least the following information:
(1) the names of the parties to the lease as set forth in the lease;
(2) a statement of the rights of a party to extend or renew the lease;
(3) any addresses set forth in the lease as those of the parties;
(4) the date of the execution of the lease;
(5) the term of the lease, the date of commencement, and the date of termination;
(6) a description of the real property as set forth in the lease;
(7) a statement of the rights of a party to purchase the real property or exercise a right of first refusal with respect thereto;
(8) a statement of any restrictions on assignment of the lease; and
(9) the location of an original lease. (Amended 1967, No. 231 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Jan. 24, 1968; 1973, No. 249 (Adj. Sess.), § 84, eff. April 9, 1974; 1987, No. 220 (Adj. Sess.); 1993, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1997, No. 86 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2003, No. 150 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 2017, No. 24, § 3, eff. May 4, 2017; 2017, No. 28, § 5, eff. May 10, 2017.)