The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 3101a. Definitions
As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) "Certification" means a voluntary process by which a statutory regulatory entity grants to a person who has met certain prerequisite qualifications the right to assume or to use the title of the profession or occupation, or the right to assume or use the term "certified" in conjunction with the title. Use of the title or the term "certified," as the case may be, by a person who is not certified is unlawful.
(2) "Licensing" and "licensure" mean a process by which a statutory regulatory entity grants to a person who has met certain prerequisite qualifications the right to perform prescribed professional or occupational tasks and to use the title of the profession or occupation. Practice without a license is unlawful.
(3) "License" means an individual, nontransferable authorization to carry on an activity based on qualifications such as:
(A) satisfactory completion of or graduation from an accredited or approved educational or training program; or
(B) acceptable performance on a qualifying examination or series of examinations.
(4) "Office" means the Office of Professional Regulation.
(5) "Practitioner" means a person who is actively engaged in a specified profession or occupation.
(6) "Public member" means an individual who has no material financial interest in the profession or occupation being regulated other than as a consumer.
(7) "Registration" means a process requiring that, prior to rendering services, a practitioner formally notify a regulatory entity of his, her, or its intent to engage in the profession or occupation. Notification may include the name and address of the practitioner, the location of the activity to be performed, and a description of the service to be provided.
(8) "Regulatory entity" means the statutory entity responsible for regulating a profession or occupation, such as a board or an agency of the State.
(9) "Regulatory law" means any law in this State that requires a person engaged in a profession or occupation to be registered, certified, or licensed or that otherwise regulates the operation of that profession or occupation. (Added 1985, No. 255 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; amended 2015, No. 156 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)