The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 003 : Licenses(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 2198)
§ 2198. Exceptions; license not required
(a) All plumbing and specialty work performed in Vermont shall be performed by persons licensed under this chapter except that a license shall not be required for the following types of work:
(1) Any plumbing and specialty work performed by an owner or the owner’s regular employees in the owner-occupied, freestanding single family dwelling or in outbuildings accessory to the owner-occupied, single family dwelling.
(2) Installations of plumbing systems in laboratories for experimental purposes only.
(3) A person who regularly employs a maintenance person whose duties include the maintenance of plumbing on the property of that person.
(4) Plumbing or specialty installations performed as part of a training project of a vocational school or other educational institution. However, the installation shall be inspected if the building is to be sold as a private dwelling or public building.
(5) A person who performs miscellaneous jobs of manual labor on the person’s own property in the course of which plumbing repairs or alterations are made.
(6) For the construction, repair, or maintenance of buildings used exclusively for agricultural purposes and animal housing located on owner-occupied farms.
(7) Work performed by employees of any public or private water company, who in the main course of their employment install, maintain, or repair water supply pipes, meters, or control valves.
(b) Plumbing installed or maintained by persons included in this section shall conform to State law. (1959, No. 215, § 16, eff. June 2, 1959; amended 1969, No. 84, § 9, eff. April 18, 1969; 1979, No. 122 (Adj. Sess.), § 6; 1993, No. 176 (Adj. Sess.), § 18.)