The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 2172)
§ 2172. Definitions
The following words and phrases when used in this chapter shall be construed as follows:
(1) "Public water system" or "public sewerage disposal system" means any system supplying or serving 15 or more customers, each family, tenement, store, or other establishment being considered a single customer.
(2) "Master plumber" means any person, licensed under this chapter, that, as a business, installs plumbing systems, hires or employs a person or persons to do plumbing work, or supervises journey plumbers or apprentice plumbers in completion of their work.
(3) "Journeyman plumber" means any person licensed under this chapter who installs plumbing and water treatment or heating specialties under the direction of a master plumber. A journeyman plumber may supervise an apprentice employed by a master plumber and under the master plumber's direction. A journeyman plumber shall not act as a master plumber.
(4) "Apprentice plumber" means any person, employed by a master plumber or under the direction of a master plumber or a journeyman plumber, who is engaged in learning and assisting in the installation of plumbing and water treatment or heating specialties under an apprenticeship program properly registered with the Vermont Apprenticeship Council. An apprentice plumber shall be supervised on the job by either a master or a journeyman plumber.
(5) "Plumbing" is the art of installing pipes, fixtures, and other apparatus for bringing in the water supply and removing liquid and water carried wastes and drainage venting systems within or on any building or structure.
(6) "Board" means the Plumber's Examining Board created under this chapter.
(7) "State plumbing inspector" means a master plumber or duly qualified employee of the Department designated to enforce the rules and regulations pursuant to this chapter.
(8) "Municipal inspector" means a plumbing inspector authorized to conduct municipal inspections pursuant to this chapter.
(9) "Specialist" means any person licensed under this chapter who performs work in connection with water treatment and heating, or both, or performs that work as a principal business or an auxiliary to a principal business for the person's own account as designated on the person's license.
(10) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Public Safety.
(11) "Legislative body" means the selectboard, the alderboard, city council, or board of trustees of a municipality or an incorporated village.
(12) "Work notice" means the notice required to be filed under this chapter by a licensee prior to commencement of work. (1959, No. 215, § 2, eff. June 2, 1959; amended 1993, No. 176 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2005, No. 8, § 10, eff. April 25, 2005.)