The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 1732. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Accredited physician assistant program" means a physician assistant educational program that has been accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA), or, prior to 2001, by either the Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation (CAHEA) or the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
(2) "Board" means the State Board of Medical Practice established by chapter 23 of this title.
(3) "Collaboration" means a physician assistant's consultation with or referral to an appropriate physician or other health care professional as indicated based on the patient's condition; the physician assistant's education, training, and experience; and the applicable standards of care.
(4) "Disciplinary action" means any action taken by the Board against a physician assistant or an applicant, or an appeal of that action, when the action suspends, revokes, limits, or conditions licensure in any way. The term includes reprimands and administrative penalties.
(5) "Health care facility" has the same meaning as in 18 V.S.A. § 9402.
(6) "Participating physician" means a physician practicing as a sole practitioner, a physician designated by a group of physicians to represent their physician group, or a physician designated by a health care facility to represent that facility, who enters into a practice agreement with a physician assistant in accordance with this chapter.
(7) "Physician" means an individual licensed to practice medicine pursuant to chapter 23 or 33 of this title.
(8) "Physician assistant" or "PA" means an individual licensed by the State of Vermont to practice medicine in collaboration with one or more physicians pursuant to this chapter.
(9) "Physician group" means a medical practice involving two or more physicians.
(10) "Practice agreement" means an agreement that meets the requirements of section 1735a of this chapter.
(11) "Practice as a physician assistant" means the practice of medicine by a PA pursuant to a practice agreement signed by a participating physician. (Added 1981, No. 100, § 2; amended 1985, No. 208 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 30, 1986; 1989, No. 250 (Adj. Sess.), § 4(a); 2011, No. 61, § 4, eff. June 2, 2011; 2019, No. 123 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)