The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : General Provisions(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 1572)
§ 1572. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the Vermont State Board of Nursing.
(2) "Registered nursing" means the practice of nursing, which includes:
(A) Assessing the health status of individuals and groups.
(B) Establishing a nursing diagnosis.
(C) Establishing goals to meet identified health care needs.
(D) Planning a strategy of medical or health care.
(E) Prescribing nursing interventions to implement the strategy of care.
(F) Implementing the strategy of care.
(G) Delegating nursing interventions that may be performed by others and that do not conflict with this subchapter.
(H) Maintaining safe and effective nursing care rendered directly or indirectly.
(I) Evaluating responses to interventions.
(J) Teaching the theory and practice of nursing.
(K) Managing and supervising the practice of nursing.
(L) Collaborating with other health professionals in the management of health care.
(M) Addressing patient pain.
(N) Performance of such additional acts requiring education and training and that are recognized jointly by the medical and nursing professions as proper to be performed by registered nurses.
(3) "Licensed practical nursing" means a directed scope of nursing practice that includes:
(A) contributing to the assessment of the health status of individuals and groups;
(B) participating in the development and modification of the strategy of care;
(C) implementing the appropriate aspects of the strategy of care as defined by the Board;
(D) maintaining safe and effective nursing care rendered directly or indirectly;
(E) participating in the evaluation of responses to interventions:
(F) delegating nursing interventions that may be performed by others and that do not conflict with this chapter; and
(G) functioning at the direction of a registered nurse, advanced practice registered nurse, licensed physician, or licensed dentist in the performance of activities delegated by that health care professional.
(4) "Advanced practice registered nurse" or "APRN" means a licensed registered nurse authorized to practice in this State who, because of specialized education and experience, is licensed and authorized to perform acts of medical diagnosis and to prescribe medical, therapeutic, or corrective measures under administrative rules adopted by the Board.
(5) "License" means a current authorization permitting the practice of nursing as a registered nurse, licensed practical nurse, or advanced practice registered nurse, or the practice as a nursing assistant. (Added 1979, No. 192 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1993, No. 201 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 2009, No. 25, § 11; 2011, No. 66, § 5, eff. June 1, 2011; 2015, No. 38, § 7, eff. May 28, 2015.)