The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : REGULATION OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATIONS BY LICENSING BOARD(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 899)
§ 899. Private inspections
(a) Upon a determination that the resources of the State and the municipality are insufficient to provide the approval or inspection services required by this chapter, the Commissioner may assign responsibility for inspecting electrical installations on its own premises to a private corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship that has an ongoing need for services. Applications to conduct private inspections under this section shall be in the manner prescribed by the Commissioner.
(b) The Commissioner may grant an application under this section if he or she determines that the applicant has the ability to carry out inspections. The Commissioner shall consider at least the following factors:
(1) the size of the facility;
(2) self-insurance or other indication of incentive and motivation for safety;
(3) whether the applicant's training program for inspectors and inspection procedures are at least equivalent to the State's program and procedures.
(c) A person authorized to perform private inspections under this section shall:
(1) participate in State-sponsored training programs;
(2) file monthly reports with the Commissioner containing the number and type of inspections, electrical installations, violations for that month, and the license numbers of the electrical contractors performing work;
(3) permit electrical inspectors to perform random inspections of the applicant's facility;
(4) pay the Department an annual flat fee. The amount of the fee shall be negotiated by the Department and the applicant and shall take into consideration the cost to the applicant of conducting private inspections. The fee shall not exceed the fee established under section 893 of this title.
(d) The Commissioner may revoke an approval to conduct private inspections whenever the Commissioner determines that the training program is insufficient or that the business has failed to comply with the provisions of subdivisions (c)(1)-(3) of this section. (Added 1987, No. 274 (Adj. Sess.), § 11.)