The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003A : DENTAL THERAPISTS(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 614)
§ 614. Collaborative agreement
(a) Before a dental therapist may enter into his or her first collaborative agreement, he or she shall:
(1) complete 1,000 hours of direct patient care using dental therapy procedures under the direct supervision of a dentist; and
(2) receive a certificate of completion signed by that supervising dentist that verifies the dental therapist completed the hours described in subdivision (1) of this subsection.
(b) In order to practice as a dental therapist, a dental therapist shall enter into a written collaborative agreement with a dentist. The agreement shall include:
(1) practice settings where services may be provided and the populations to be served;
(2) any limitations on the services that may be provided by the dental therapist, including the level of supervision required by the supervising dentist;
(3) age- and procedure-specific practice protocols, including case selection criteria, assessment guidelines, and imaging frequency;
(4) a procedure for creating and maintaining dental records for the patients that are treated by the dental therapist;
(5) a plan to manage medical emergencies in each practice setting where the dental therapist provides care;
(6) a quality assurance plan for monitoring care provided by the dental therapist, including patient care review, referral follow-up, and a quality assurance chart review;
(7) protocols for prescribing, administering, and dispensing medications, including the specific conditions and circumstances under which these medications may be prescribed, dispensed, and administered;
(8) criteria relating to the provision of care to patients with specific medical conditions or complex medication histories, including requirements for consultation prior to the initiation of care;
(9) criteria for the supervision of dental assistants and dental hygienists; and
(10) a plan for the provision of clinical resources and referrals in situations that are beyond the capabilities of the dental therapist.
(c)(1) The supervising dentist shall be professionally responsible and legally liable for all services authorized and performed by the dental therapist pursuant to the collaborative agreement.
(2) A supervising dentist shall be licensed and practicing in Vermont.
(3) A supervising dentist is limited to entering into a collaborative agreement with no more than two dental therapists at any one time.
(d)(1) A collaborative agreement shall be signed and maintained by the supervising dentist and the dental therapist.
(2) A collaborative agreement shall be reviewed, updated, and submitted to the Board on an annual basis and as soon as a change is made to the agreement.
(e) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to require a dentist to enter into a collaborative agreement with a dental therapist. (Added 2015, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 2, 2016.)