The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : General Provisions(Cite as: 26 V.S.A. § 271)
§ 271. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Barbering" means engaging in the continuing performance, for compensation, of any of the following activities: cutting, shampooing, or styling hair; shaving the face, shaving around the vicinity of the ears and neckline, or trimming facial hair; facials, skin care, or scalp massages, and bleaching, coloring, straightening, or permanent-waving hair, or similar work by any means, with hands or mechanical or electrical apparatus or appliances. Barbering also includes esthetics.
(2) "Cosmetology" means engaging in the continuing performance, for compensation, of any of the following activities:
(A) Work on the hair of any person, including dressing, curling, waving, cleansing, cutting, bleaching, coloring, or similar work by any means, with hands or mechanical or electrical apparatus or appliances.
(3) "Director" means the Director of the Office of Professional Regulation.
(4) "Esthetics" means massaging, cleansing, stimulating, manipulating, beautifying, or otherwise working on the scalp, face, or neck by using cosmetic preparations, antiseptics, tonics, lotions, or creams. "Esthetics" does not include the sale or application of cosmetics to customers in retail stores or customers' homes.
(5) "Manicuring" or "nail technician practice" means the nonmedical treatment of a person's fingernails or toenails or the skin in the vicinity of the nails and includes the use of cosmetic preparations or appliances.
(6) "School of barbering or cosmetology" means a facility or facilities regularly used to train or instruct persons in the practice of barbering or cosmetology.
(7) "Shop" means a facility or facilities regularly used to offer or provide barbering or cosmetology. (Added 1997, No. 40, § 16; amended 2005, No. 27, § 19; 2017, No. 144 (Adj. Sess.), § 12, eff. Jan. 1, 2019.)