The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 24 Appendix : Municipal Charters
Chapter 245 : VILLAGE OF MORRISVILLE
Subchapter 002 : PUBLIC UTILITIES(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 245, § 17)
§ 17. Definitions
The following terms when used in this subchapter shall have the following meaning:
(1) “Acquire” shall mean to purchase, to acquire by eminent domain, to hire, to lease, to construct, to reconstruct, or to replace.
(2) “Electric plant” shall mean the complete municipal electric generating, transmission, and distribution system now owned by the Village, together with any improvements thereto hereafter constructed or acquired, and the complete municipal natural, manufactured, or synthetic gas generating, piped transmission and piped distribution system now or hereafter owned by the Village, together with any improvements thereto hereafter constructed or acquired, and all other facilities, equipment, and appurtenances necessary or appropriate to such system, for the furnishing of electric power and energy or gas for lighting, heating, power, or any other purpose for which electric power and energy or gas can be used. Such term may include facilities for the production and distribution of steam and hot or chilled water, timberlands, or other fuel sources, facilities for the production, processing, transportation, and storage of fuel to be used in the production of utilities furnished by the Village, and innovative or experimental facilities for the utilization of conventional or other energy sources for the production of such utilities, including pilot or demonstration facilities.
(3) “Electric service” shall mean the furnishing of the electric power and energy or gas for lighting, heating, power, or any other purposes for which electric power and energy or gas can be used. Such term may include the furnishing of steam and hot or chilled water. The Village shall also obtain a certificate of public good under 30 V.S.A. § 231 before it may sell gas services, so long as such a certificate is required under Vermont law in order for other persons to be authorized to sell such gas services.
(4) “Communications plant” shall mean any and all parts of any communications system owned by the Village, whether using wires, cables, fiber optics, wireless, other technologies, or a combination thereof, and used for the purpose of transporting or storing information, in whatever forms, directions, and media, together with any improvements thereto hereafter constructed or acquired, and all other facilities, equipment, and appurtenances necessary or appropriate to such system. However, the term “communications plant,” and any regulatory implications or any restrictions under this charter regarding either “communications plant” or “communications service” shall not apply to facilities or portions of any communications facilities intended for use by, and solely used by, the Village and the Village’s own officers and employees in the operation of Village departments or systems of which such communications are merely an ancillary component.
(5) “Communications service” shall include ownership, operation, and utilization of a communications plant within or without the corporate limits of the Village to transport or store information, in whatever form and medium.
(6) “Improve” shall mean to acquire or construct any improvement, whether consisting of real or personal property.
(7) “Improvement” shall mean any improvement, extension, betterment, addition, alteration, reconstruction, and extraordinary repair, equipping, or reequipping of the electric or communications plant of the Village.