The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 24 Appendix : Municipal Charters
Chapter 156 : TOWN OF WILLISTON(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 156, § 15)
§ 15. Appointed nonadministrative officials
(a) General provisions applying to appointed positions.
(1) The appointed positions in subdivisions (b)(1), (2), and (5) of this section shall all be appointed by a majority vote of the Selectboard.
(2) Terms of appointment shall begin immediately upon Selectboard action and run for a period as specified herein.
(3) All appointees shall be administered the oath of office in the form as provided by statute.
(4) Appointees may be afforded compensation or reimbursement for expenses as determined by the Selectboard.
(5) To the highest degree possible, the Selectboard shall strive for a balance of opinion on all appointive positions, boards, and commissions.
(6) All appointive boards and commissions, although operating independently, shall be required to cooperate with the Selectboard in the exercise of their duties in the pursuit of the public good. They shall be required to file an annual report for inclusion in the Town report and also to file any other reports requested by the Selectboard, and be in attendance at any meeting requested by the Selectboard.
(7) Elected officials shall serve in appointed positions, boards, and commissions if the specific membership of the board or commission calls for their service, subject to the limits outlined herein.
(8) Members of the administrative service may serve in appointive positions as limited by charter, but may not vote on any issue directly affecting their position or conditions of employment.
(9) The Selectboard may create any appointive officers or positions not provided for by this charter or required by law as it deems to be in the best interests of the Town.
(b) Appointed positions.
(1) The following positions are created by this charter, their functions to be governed by the applicable State statute, as limited by charter or ordinance:
(A) Tree Warden.
(C) Collector of Delinquent Taxes.
(E) Town Health Officer. The Town Health Officer is appointed by the Commissioner of Health upon the recommendation of the Selectboard.
(F) Town Constable.
(2) Appointed boards and commissions established by charter.
(A) Planning Commission.
(i) The Selectboard shall appoint the members of the Planning Commission in accordance with State statute. There shall be seven members, a majority of which shall be residents, appointed for staggered four-year terms.
(ii) The duties and responsibilities of the Planning Commission shall be in accordance with State statute as limited herein.
(B) Development Review Board.
(i) The Selectboard shall appoint the members of the Development Review Board in accordance with State statute. There shall be seven members who shall serve staggered three-year terms.
(ii) Duties and responsibilities of the Development Review Board shall be in accordance with State statute as limited herein.
(C) Conservation Commission.
(i) The Conservation Commission consists of seven members, appointed by the Selectboard for staggered four-year terms.
(ii) The Commission advises the Planning Commission and Selectboard on matters relating to the Town’s natural resources, including site plans. It promotes open space and conservation through studies, negotiations, and advice on the use of the Town Environmental Reserve Fund.
(3) The Board of Civil Authority.
(A) The Selectboard, justices of the peace, and Town Clerk shall constitute the Board of Civil Authority. The Board is responsible under general State law for checklist maintenance and other election functions and appeals of property assessments.
(B) The Board of Civil Authority shall be governed by general law in the exercise of its authority.
(4) The Board for the Abatement of Taxes.
(A) The Board for the Abatement of Taxes shall consist of the Board of Civil Authority and Town Treasurer, plus the listers unless the Town votes to eliminate the office of lister. The Board is responsible for making decisions on tax abatement pursuant to 24 V.S.A. § 1535.
(B) The Board for the Abatement of Taxes shall be governed by general law in the exercise of its authority.
(C) The quorum for the Board of Abatement of Taxes shall consist of a majority of the Board of Civil Authority, Town Treasurer, and Town Listers unless the Town votes to eliminate the office of lister.
(5) Cemetery Commission.
(A) The Cemetery Commission shall consist of up to five cemetery commissioners appointed by the Selectboard for staggered terms of five years.
(B) The Cemetery Commission shall advise the Selectboard regarding the condition, operation, and maintenance of cemeteries.
(C) The Town Clerk shall, under the direction of the cemetery commissioners, ensure that cemetery lots are properly laid out, and that sale of lots is properly conducted.
(D) The Cemetery Commissioners shall issue and update regulations regarding cemetery use, interment, and burial fees.
(6) Old Brick Church Board of Trustees.
(A) The Old Brick Church Board of Trustees shall consist of up to five members appointed by the Selectboard for staggered terms of five years.
(B) The Board shall be responsible for overseeing the use and maintenance of the Old Brick Church building.
(7) Boards, commissions, committees created by Selectboard action.
(A) The Selectboard may, at any time, in response to a perceived need, create, by ordinance or resolution, a board, commission, or committee.
(B) In doing so, the action must clearly state the reason for the creation of the body. (Added 2003, No. M-11 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 3, 2004; amended 2007, No. M-8, § 6, eff. April 17, 2007; 2019, No. M-5, § 2, eff. May 23, 2019.)