The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 007 : Town Manager(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 147, § 7.06)
§ 7.6. Powers and duties
The Town Manager shall be the chief executive officer and the head of the administrative branch of the Town government and shall be responsible to the Selectboard for the proper administration of all affairs of the Town. The Manager shall have all powers and duties laid down by 24 V.S.A. chapter 37, as amended from time to time, and not inconsistent with this charter. Any inconsistency shall be resolved in favor of the Manager. The Manager shall also have the power and be required to perform the following:
(1) The Manager shall attend all meetings of the Selectboard, except when his or her removal is being considered, and keep it informed of the financial condition and future needs of the Town and shall make such reports as may be required by law, this article, or ordinance or may be requested by the Selectboard. The Manager shall make such other reports and recommendations as he or she may deem advisable. The Manager shall perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this charter or required of him or her by law, ordinance, or resolution of the Selectboard not inconsistent with this charter.
(2) The Manager shall be an ex-officio member of all boards or commissions appointed by the Selectboard except the Development Review Board, but may not vote.
(3) The Manager shall prepare the annual budget and submit it to the Selectboard and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
(4) The Manager shall compile for general distribution at the end of each fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Town for the year.
(5) The Manager shall be responsible for the enforcement of all Town laws and ordinances. The Manager shall be the administrative officer under the Vermont Planning and Development Act, with all the powers and duties set forth in said act. The Manager may appoint an assistant administrative officer with the approval of the Selectboard to exercise all powers and duties required of the administrative officer under the Vermont Planning and Development Act.
(6) The Manager shall be responsible for the collection of all taxes due the Town.
(7) The Manager shall be the general purchasing agent of the Town and purchase all supplies for every department thereof.
(8) The Manager shall be responsible for the operation of all departments of the Town, not otherwise provided for in this charter.
(9) The Manager shall have exclusive authority to appoint, fix the salary of, suspend, and remove all employees of the Town appointed by him or her, subject to the provisions of this charter and with the consent of the Selectboard. However, the appointment and compensation of any employee of a commission or board of the Town having commissioners, trustees, or other such governing board shall require the approval of such governing body.
(10) The Manager may when advisable or proper delegate to subordinate officers and employees of the Town any duties conferred upon him or her by this charter or by action of the Selectboard. (Amended 2011, No. M-7, § 2, eff. May 17, 2011.)