The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 123A-301. Appointed officers
(a) Town Manager. The Town Manager shall be the chief executive officer of the Town appointed by a majority of the Selectboard. The Town Manager shall be selected with special reference to training, experience, education, and ability to perform the executive and administrative duties of the Manager's office and without reference to his or her political position or persuasion. The Town Manager shall be responsible to the Selectboard for the proper and efficient administration of departments under the Manager's charge as outlined in this charter.
(1) The Town Manager shall be appointed for a period not to exceed three years and may thereafter be appointed for successive terms of not more than three years. The Town Manager shall not simultaneously hold any elective office within the Town nor be employed by the Town in any capacity except as specified in this charter.
(2) The Town Manager need not be a resident of the Town.
(3) Conditions of employment and compensation shall be determined at the time of appointment, and there shall be an annual review of performance and compensation by the Selectboard.
(4) Before entering into the duties of office, the Manager shall be sworn to the impartial and faithful performance thereof with a certificate to that effect to be filed with the Town Clerk.
(A) On 90 days' written notice, the Manager may be removed without cause by a majority of the Selectboard so voting at a meeting called for the purpose of voting on removal. During the 90-day period, the Manager may be suspended with pay.
(B) The Selectboard may adopt a resolution stating its intention to remove the Manager and reasons therefore, a copy of which shall be sent to the Manager. The Manager may, within 10 days after notice is sent, request a hearing that shall be held by the Selectboard not less than 10 days nor more than 20 days from the date of the request, after which the Selectboard may dismiss the Manager. If no request for a hearing is filed, the Selectboard may dismiss the Manager immediately. During the period after the resolution of intention is adopted and until the Manager's dismissal, he or she may be suspended with pay.
(C) Termination of benefits will be determined by the Selectboard in conjunction with legal counsel.
(b) Acting Town Manager.
(1) In the event the Town Manager shall be absent from Town for a period of up to two consecutive weeks, he or she may designate an Acting Manager with Selectboard approval who shall exercise the duties of the Manager. The Town Manager may overrule the actions of the Acting Manager.
(2) In the event the Manager is unable to discharge his or her duties or in the event the Manager is suspended or placed on administrative leave, the Selectboard shall appoint an Acting Manager to serve until the Manager is able to assume regular duties or a new Manager is appointed. The Acting Manager appointed to fill a declared vacancy in the office shall have all powers and perform all duties of the Manager. An Acting Manager shall be reviewed within 180 days.
(3) In no case shall a serving Selectboard member act as the Acting Town Manager. (Added 2009, No. M-5, § 2, eff. April 29, 2009; amended 2011, No. M-16 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 7, 2012.)