The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 123A-202. Elected officers
(a) Local elected offices to be filled by the Town voters shall be only those articulated by this chapter.
(b) Terms for elected officers shall begin officially when the Town Clerk certifies election returns as final and the elected candidates take their oath of allegiance and oath of office as prescribed by State statute.
(c) All officers elected prior to the effective date of this chapter shall remain in office until the end of their terms. Those persons in office as of the effective date of this chapter whose terms would otherwise expire prior to the next annual meeting shall remain in office until that meeting.
(d) Qualifications for serving in elected office:
(1) shall be a resident of the Town;
(2) shall be a registered voter in the Town;
(3) shall hold no other elected Town, School District, or statutorily incompatible office, with the exception of Town Moderator who may be both the Town and School District Moderator;
(4) shall not be a Town or School District employee.
(e) The elected officers of the Town shall be:
(1) seven Selectboard members, elected as set forth in section 203 of this chapter;
(2) one Moderator, elected for a one-year term;
(3) a Town Treasurer, elected for a three-year term;
(4) all other Town officers provided in this chapter or State statute.
(f) The elected officers of the School District shall be:
(1) one Moderator, elected for a one-year term;
(2) five School Board members, elected in accordance with State statute.
(g) The elected Board of Civil Authority shall consist of 15 justices of the peace, elected every two years in accordance with the general law. The Town Clerk shall be the Clerk of the Board of Civil Authority. The duties performed by the Board of Civil Authority shall be in accordance with State statute.
(h) Compensation for elected officers of the Town and School District shall be determined as provided in subdivision 201(e)(2)(C) of this chapter. (Added 2009, No. M-5, § 2, eff. April 29, 2009; amended 2011, No. M-16 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 7, 2012; 2017, No. M-4, § 2, eff. May 17, 2017.)