The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 005 : SELECTMEN(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 123, § 501)
§ 123-501. Powers and duties
(a) The members of the Board of Selectmen shall constitute the legislative body of the Town of Hardwick for all purposes required by law and except as otherwise herein specifically provided, and shall have all powers and authority given to, and perform all duties required of town legislative bodies or boards of selectmen under the Constitution and laws of the State of Vermont.
(b) Within the limitations of the foregoing, the selectmen shall have the power to:
(1) Appoint and remove the Town Manager and supervise, create, change, and abolish offices, commissions, or departments other than the offices, commissions, or departments established by this charter or by law. The selectmen may prescribe the duties of all offices, commissions, or departments created by them.
(2) Assign additional duties to officers, commissions, or departments established by this Charter, but may not discontinue or assign to any other office, commission or department duties assigned to a particular office, commission, or department established by this charter or by law.
(3) Appoint members of all boards, commissions, committees, or similar bodies unless specifically provided otherwise by this charter or law.
(4) Make, amend, and repeal ordinances in compliance with sections 107 and 108 of this Charter.
(5) Inquire into the conduct of any officer, employee, commission, or department and investigate any and all municipal affairs when deemed necessary for the proper and orderly conduct of Town government.
(6) Submit an annual budget to the voters, to be voted on at Town meeting, in accordance with the provision of subchapter 15 of this charter dealing with the budget.
(7) Exercise each and every power not specifically set forth herein, which is granted to the selectmen by the laws of this State.