The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 006 : SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 129, § 603)
§ 129-603. Responsibilities, powers, and duties
(a) In general, the Superintendent shall be accountable to the School Board. He or she shall have general supervision of the property and business affairs of the School District and expenditure of all monies appropriated for school purposes subject to the policies of the School Board. He or she shall not supervise any elected School District officer in the conduct of such officer's duties.
(b) In particular, in addition to other duties specifically assigned by law, the Superintendent shall be the chief executive officer for the School Board and on behalf of the School Board shall:
(1) Carry out the policies adopted by the School Board relating to the educational or business affairs of the School District.
(2) Identify the educational goals and objectives of the School District and prepare plans to achieve those goals and objectives for adoption by the School Board.
(3) Recommend that the School Board employ or dismiss persons as in his or her judgment is necessary to carry out the word of the District.
(4) Furnish the Secretary of Education such data and information as he or she may require.
(5) Approve all textbooks, learning materials, equipment, and supplies.
(6) Attend all regular meetings of the School Board except when excused by the Board and to have the right to attend all other meetings of said Board and committees thereof except when his or her removal or dismissal is being discussed.
(7) Furnish the School Board with a five-year projection of capital improvements.
(8) Participate in the discussion of matters before the School Board and its committees but not the right to vote.
(9) Perform such other duties which may be required of him or her by vote of the School Board by law or by policy consistent with this charter.
(10) To be responsible for keeping such books and accounts of disbursements for all school accounts as prescribed by policy of the School Board. (Amended 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 274, eff. Feb. 14, 2014.)