The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 123A-401. Miscellaneous
(a) Conflict of interest. The Selectboard and the School Board and School Superintendent shall each maintain comprehensive conflict of interest policies which shall apply to their respective Town and School District employees, elected and appointed officials, and committee and board members.
(b) Ethics-responsibilities. Any elected or appointed board, commission, or authority member:
(1) has no legal powers unless acting at a duly warned Board meeting or acting for the Board after it formally grants power to act on its behalf;
(2) shall maintain confidentiality of discussion conducted in executive session and of other privileged information;
(3) shall use a chain of command and avoid making commitments or promises that compromise the Town and School District;
(4) shall work to further public interest, maintain public trust, be open and accessible to the public at large, and maintain leadership of the highest degree without regard for personal gain.
(c) Rights and privileges.
(1) Nothing in this chapter, except as otherwise specifically provided, shall affect or impair rights or privileges of persons who are officers or employees of the Town or School District at the time of its adoption.
(2) Except as specifically provided by this chapter, if at the time this chapter takes effect, an individual holds any elected or appointed office or position which is or can be abolished by or under this chapter, he or she shall continue in the office or position until the term expires.
(d) Severability. If any provision of this chapter is for any reason held invalid, that invalidity shall not affect the remaining provisions which can be given effect without the invalid provision. To this end, the provisions of this chapter are declared to be severable.
(e) Charter review.
(1) The Selectboard and School Board may appoint a Charter Review Committee of registered voters of the Town to review its charter and recommend changes as the Committee finds necessary or advisable for the purpose of improving the operation of the Town and School District.
(2) The Committee shall submit a written report of recommendations to the Selectboard and School Board not later than one year after the appointment of the Committee.
(3) Recommendations shall be warned for a vote at the next Australian ballot Town meeting.
(4) The Selectboard and School Board shall provide funds for the Committee in their budgets for any year when a Charter Review Committee is appointed. (Added 2009, No. M-5, § 2, eff. April 29, 2009; amended 2009, No. M-16 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2011, No. M-16 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 7, 2012.)