The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : INCORPORATION AND GRANT OF POWERS(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 123, § 104)
§ 123-104. Additional powers
The general grant of authority in section 103 of this charter shall include the following powers, and the enumeration thereof shall not be deemed to be in derogation of the authority conferred by this charter.
(1) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to the installation, maintenance, repair, and replacement of water lines, sewer lines, and equipment necessary for their operation. The installation of such improvements in a particular manner specified may be imposed as a condition precedent to the issuing of a building, occupancy, or use permit under any Town ordinance. The apportionment of part or all the cost of such improvements against property owners or rate payers benefiting thereby may be required. Such assessments shall constitute a lien on the property against which the assessment is made in the same manner and to the same extent as taxes assessed on the grand list of the Town, and all procedures and remedies for the collection of taxes shall apply to special assessments.
(2) To adopt and enforce police ordinances regulating or prohibiting the use, but not the possession of, firearms, air rifles, and devices having the capacity to inflict personal injury; and the parking, operation, and speed of vehicles of any kind upon Town and State aid streets and highways, private and public property; and to regulate or prohibit any activities constituting a hazard to the safety, health, or welfare of the public.
(3) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to the prevention of pollution of air, land, streams, ponds, and other waterways, public and private supplies, waste water, and reservoirs within the Town.
(4) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to the cleaning or repair of any premises which, in the judgment of the Board of Selectmen, is dangerous to the health, welfare, or safety of the public.
(5) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to regulation, licensing, or prohibition of the storage and accumulation of garbage, ashes, rubbish, refuse, and waste materials; regulations of the removal, and disposal of such materials; licensing for revenue and regulation or prohibition of the collection, removal and disposal of such materials by contract or by a Town officer or department now existing or created for that purpose. Service rates to be paid the Town for such service may be established.
(6) To adopt and enforce ordinances prohibiting willful injuries to trees planted for shade, ornament, convenience, or use, public and private, and to prevent and punish trespassing or willful injuries to or upon public or private buildings, property, or lands.
(7) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to codes for building construction, including also wiring and plumbing.
(8) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to fire prevention and control.
(9) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to the use, protection, care, and management of all public recreation and natural resource facilities of the Town.
(10) To adopt, amend, repeal, and enforce ordinances relating to public assemblages and the prevention of riots, noises, concerts, nuisances, disturbances, and disorderly assembly.
(11) To adopt and enforce ordinances establishing regulations for signs and billboards as provided by the general law of this State.
(12) To exercise the right of eminent domain in the taking of property by condemnation for public parks, sewage collection and treatment, water storage and distribution.
(13) To adopt and amend ordinances relating to public bidding procedures and conflicts of interest involving elected and appointed officers and employees.