The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : POWERS OF THE TOWN(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 113, § 104)
§ 104. Additional powers
In addition to powers otherwise conferred upon it by law, the Town is authorized:
(1) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to making and installing local improvements including curbs, sidewalks, storm drains, and water and sanitary waste systems; apportioning part of the expense of such improvements against property owners who benefit thereby; providing for the collection of such assessments and penalties for nonpayment; provided however:
(A) That, in absence of an ordinance, no assessment shall be made by the Selectboard until it has received a petition in writing from 50 percent of the owners of property fronting on such local improvements as proposed. Upon receiving such petition, the Selectboard may order the proposed improvements to be made.
(B) That no assessment shall be made in excess of the actual benefit to the land so assessed as determined by the Selectboard after notice to and hearing of the owners of the property assessed.
(C) That the total assessment made on account of any such improvements shall not exceed 50 percent of the cost of such improvement and the remaining cost of such improvement shall be borne by the Town.
(2) To adopt and enforce ordinances requiring the installation of curbs, sidewalks, and storm drains in a manner specified by the Town as a condition precedent to the issuance of a building permit.
(3) To adopt and enforce ordinances regulating signs and billboards.
(4) To adopt and enforce police ordinances regulating the parking, operation, and speed of motor vehicles upon Town and State aid streets and highways; to adopt police ordinances regulating the use of firearms, air rifles, and devices having a capacity to inflict personal injury; to adopt and enforce police ordinances prohibiting the use of firearms, air rifles, and devices having a capacity to inflict personal injury in specified areas, but only with approval of the voters.
(5) To adopt and enforce ordinances relating to regulation, licensing, or prohibition of the storage and accumulation of garbage, ashes, rubbish, refuse, and waste materials.
(6) To create and maintain a Police Department.
(7) To establish a policy whereby the Selectboard may determine it to be in the public interest to plow those private roads serving two or more year-round residences, which had previous to January 1, 1997, have the Town providing winter road maintenance. (Amended 2015, No. M-1, § 2, eff. Jan. 27, 2015.)