The Vermont Statutes Online
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
NOTE: The online version of the Vermont Statutes does NOT yet include the actions of the 2023 legislative session. The 2023 updates should be available by the end of October.
Subchapter 005 : TAXATION(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 103, § 508)
§ 508. Purposes and powers
(a) The District is created for the general purpose of maintaining and improving the economic, social, cultural, and environmental vitality and quality of the Town of Bennington (in particular, the District created by section 506 of this charter); to promote the Town and the District as a regional retail, commercial, and service center; and to serve as an advocate for the orderly development of the District in order to encourage expansion of the retail, commercial, and service base of the District and the Town by attracting new business and investment.
(b) The rights, powers, and duties of the District shall be exercised by the Select Board and shall be broadly construed to accomplish the purposes set forth above and shall include the following:
(1) to advertise and promote the Improvement District;
(2) to represent the interests of the District;
(3) to receive and expend contributions, grants, and income;
(4) to expend funds as provided for in the budget or as otherwise approved;
(5) to manage and maintain public spaces and to assume or supplement the services and maintenance heretofore provided to the District by the Town as recommended to and approved by the Select Board;
(6) to acquire and dispose of property on behalf of the Town;
(7) to install and make public improvements;
(8) to improve, manage, and regulate public parking facilities and vehicular traffic within the District;
(9) to enter into contracts as may be necessary or convenient to carry out the purpose of this charter;
(10) to regulate, lease, license, establish rules and fees, and otherwise manage the use of public spaces within the District;
(11) to plan for the orderly development of the District in cooperation with the Town Planning Commission;
(12) to do all other things necessary or convenient to carry out the purposes for which this District was created. (Amended 2005, No. M-6, § 3, eff. June 4, 2005; 2019, No. M-8, § 1, eff. June 10, 2019.)