The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : TOWN MANAGER(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 103, § 404)
§ 103-404. Duties for Manager
(a) The Town Manager shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Town and shall:
(1) Carry out the policies established by the Select Board, to whom the Town Manager shall be accountable.
(2) Attend all meetings of the Select Board, except when his or her compensation or removal is being considered, shall keep the Select Board informed of the financial condition and future needs of the Town, and shall make such other reports as may be required by law, requested by the Select Board, or deemed by him or her to be advisable.
(3) Perform all other duties prescribed by this charter or required by law or by resolution of the Select Board.
(4) Be an ex-officio member of all standing committees except the Development Review Board, and shall not vote.
(5) Prepare an annual budget, submit it to the Select Board, and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
(6) Compile for general distribution at the end of each fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Town for the year.
(7) Provide to the Select Board a monthly financial statement, with a copy to the Town Treasurer.
(8) Perform all duties now conferred by law on the Road Commissioner within all areas of the Town, except within such villages as may vote not to surrender their charters under this charter, notwithstanding the provisions of 24 V.S.A. § 1236(5).
(9) Perform all duties now conferred by law on the Collector of Delinquent Taxes.
(10) Under policies approved by the Select Board, be the General Purchasing Agent of the Town and purchase all equipment and supplies and contract for services for every department pursuant to the purchasing and bid policies approved by the Select Board.
(11) Be responsible for the system of accounts.
(12) Be responsible for the operation of all departments, including the Police and Fire Departments.
(13) Under policies approved by the Select Board, have exclusive authority to appoint, fix the salaries of, suspend, and remove, all officers and employees except those who are elected or who are appointed by the Select Board. When the Town Manager position is vacant, this authority shall be exercised by the Select Board.
(b) The Town Manager may, when advisable or proper, delegate to subordinate officers and employees of the Town, any duties conferred upon him or her. (Amended 2019, No. M-8, § 1, eff. June 10, 2019.)