The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 19-504. Powers and duties of the City Manager
The City Manager shall be the Chief Administrative Officer of the City. The City Manager shall be responsible to the Council for the administration of all City affairs placed in the Manager's charge by or under this charter. The City Manager shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Appoint and, when deemed necessary for the good of the service, suspend or remove any City employees and appointive administrative officers provided for by or under this charter, except as otherwise provided by law, this charter, or personnel rules adopted pursuant to this charter. The Manager may authorize any administrative officer who is subject to the Manager's direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that officer's department, office, or agency.
(2) Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the City, except as otherwise provided by this charter or by law.
(3) Attend all Council meetings and shall have the right to take part in discussion but may not vote.
(4) Ensure that all laws, provisions of this charter, and acts of the Council, subject to enforcement by the Manager or by officers subject to his or her direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
(5) Prepare and submit the capital program and annual budget to the Council.
(6) Submit to the Council and Treasurer and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City as of the end of each fiscal year, or more frequently upon request of the Council or the Treasurer.
(7) Make such other reports as the Council may require concerning the operations of City departments, offices, and agencies subject to his or her direction and supervision.
(8) Keep the Council fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City and make such recommendations to the Council concerning the affairs of the City as deemed desirable.
(9) Act as the Emergency Management Director consistent with 20 V.S.A. chapter 1.
(10) Perform such other duties as are specified in this charter or may be required by the Council.
(11) Have all other powers and duties prescribed by law upon municipal managers and not herein specifically enumerated or withheld. (Added 2013, No. M-9, § 3, eff. June 4, 2013; amended 2015, No. M-19 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 17, 2016.)