The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : CITY COUNCIL WITH MAYOR PRESIDING AND CITY COUNCIL(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 3, § 43)
§ 3-43. Composition; Board for Registration of Voters; duties; appointments; offices
(a)(1) The City Council with Mayor presiding shall constitute the Board of Civil Authority for the City, except that all duties with respect to preparing checklists of voters and making additions thereto or alterations or corrections thereon imposed upon the Council by this charter or the provisions of the general statutes relating thereto shall be performed by a board of 12 members, to be known as the Board for Registration of Voters.
(2) Not more than six members of the Board shall at any one time be from the same political party.
(b)(1) All members of the Board shall be legal voters of the City and shall serve a term of five years.
(2) Terms shall be staggered so that in June in each year the City Council with Mayor presiding shall appoint no more than three members of the Board depending upon the expiration of terms to serve for a term of five years from the July first next succeeding or until his or her or their successor(s) is or are duly appointed and qualified.
(3) Vacancies in the Board for any cause shall be filled by appointment by the City Council with Mayor presiding for the balance of the unexpired term.
(c)(1) The records of the Board shall be maintained in an office in the City Hall of the City or another location determined by the Chief Administrative Officer that is open for business during the regular business hours of the City.
(2) The Board shall advise any petitioner whose application to vote has been rejected or whose name has been removed from the checklist of his or her statutory right to seek judicial review of such decision pursuant to 17 V.S.A. § 2148.
(3) The Board shall also appoint a Clerk, who need not be a member thereof, who shall have such duties as the Board may assign.
(4) Records of the taking of voter's oaths heretofore kept by the City Clerk shall be transferred to the Clerk of the Board. (Amended 1997, No. M-18 (Adj. Sess.), § 26, eff. April 23, 1998; 2001, No. M-6, § 2; 2013, No. M-15 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. March 3, 2015; 2017, No. M-9, § 2, eff. May 22, 2017.)