The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : PUBLIC TRANSIT(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 5088)
§ 5088. Definitions
As used in this subchapter:
(1) “Fixed route service” means a public transit service operated over a set route or network of routes on a regular schedule.
(2) “New public transit service” means any eligible public transit service not previously provided.
(3) “Nonprofit public transit system” means a domestic corporation organized in accordance with Title 11B having the majority of its governing board appointed by the legislative body of the municipality or municipalities served, and a function of providing a public transit service or a foreign nonprofit corporation located in a state which borders Vermont and provides public transit services in both Vermont and the bordering state.
(4) “Paratransit” means transportation services, provided through flexible scheduling or routing in small vehicles, such as ride-matching, dial-a-ride, jitney, subscription, and route-deviated bus services.
(5) A “public transit service” means any fixed route, paratransit, transportation brokerage, user-side subsidy, and or rideshare/ride-match program which is available to any person upon payment of the proper fare, and which is promoted to be available to all members of the public, including those with special needs.
(6) A “public transit system” means:
(A) a transportation authority as provided by 24 App. V.S.A. chapter 801;
(B) a transit authority or transit district as provided by chapter 127 of this title;
(C) any municipal transit system, or any nonprofit public transit system;
(D) a local chapter of the American National Red Cross created by Congress under 36 U.S.C. chapter 3001 that provides public transit service; or
(E) an intercity bus carrier.
(8) “Transportation brokerage” means matching the most appropriate services and providers to individual markets.
(9) “User-side subsidy” means a direct subsidy to users which allows them to select the service they prefer. (Added 1989, No. 262 (Adj. Sess.); amended 1991, No. 50, § 253a; 1993, No. 211 (Adj. Sess.), § 16, eff. June 17, 1994; 1995, No. 60, § 28, eff. April 25, 1995; 2001, No. 64, § 17, eff. June 16, 2001; 2009, No. 123 (Adj. Sess.), § 47(1).)