The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 24 : Municipal and County Government
Chapter 126 : PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION
Subchapter 001 : PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION POLICY(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 5083)
§ 5083. Declaration of policy
(a) It shall be the State’s policy to make maximum use of available federal funds for the support of public transportation. State operating support funds shall be included in Agency operating budgets to the extent that funds are available. State policy shall support the maintenance of existing public transit services and creation of new services including the following goals:
(1) Provision for basic mobility for transit-dependent persons, as defined in the current public transit policy plan, including meeting the performance standards for urban, suburban, and rural areas. The density of a service area’s population is an important factor in determining whether the service offered is fixed route, demand-response, or volunteer drivers.
(2) Expanding public transit service in rural areas and increasing ridership statewide.
(3) Access to employment, including creation of demand-response service.
(4) Congestion mitigation to preserve air quality, decrease greenhouse gas emissions, and sustain the highway network.
(5) Advancement of economic development objectives, including services for workers and visitors that support the travel and tourism industry. Applicants for “new starts” in this service sector shall demonstrate a high level of locally derived income for operating costs from fare-box recovery, contract income, or other income.
(b) The Agency of Transportation shall evaluate proposals for new public transit service submitted by providers in response to a notice of funding availability, by examining feasibility studies submitted by providers. The feasibility studies shall address criteria set forth in the most recent public transit policy plan.
(c) The Agency, in cooperation with the Public Transit Advisory Council, shall adopt appropriate performance and service standards for transit systems receiving federal or State assistance. The Agency of Transportation shall provide guidance, training, funding, and technical assistance to transit systems in order to meet the performance and service standards established.
(d) The Agency of Transportation shall provide written guidance, funding, and technical assistance in the preparation of financial and management plans for public transit systems for each fiscal year. To provide a foundation for financial stability and reliability in the provision of transportation services to the public, the Agency of Transportation shall, in cooperation with the Public Transit Advisory Council, establish both short and long-range fiscal, operating, and capital investment plans to support the goals outlined in this section and regional transportation development plan proposals and regional plans as required by section 5089 of this title. (Added 1989, No. 262 (Adj. Sess.); amended 1993, No. 211 (Adj. Sess.), § 21, eff. June 17, 1994; 1999, No. 156 (Adj. Sess.), § 18, eff. May 29, 2000; 2003, No. 56, § 37, eff. June 4, 2003; 2011, No. 153 (Adj. Sess.), § 32; 2019, No. 59, § 18.)