Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2017-2018 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

Title 24 : Municipal and County Government


(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 5008)
  • § 5008. Court proceedings

    If the enforcing officer finds that any person has failed to comply with any order issued by him or her within the time specified therein and that such person has failed to appeal such order within the time prescribed, he or she may notify the state's attorney of the county or the attorney of the municipality who shall bring suit in the name of the municipality to enforce such order. Such suit shall be brought in the superior court of the county in which the municipality is located and at the request of either party, the court shall advance the case so that it may be heard and determined with as little delay as possible. The court may issue a temporary injunction or order in any such proceedings and may exercise all the plenary powers available to such court to obtain compliance with the ordinance and any order issued pursuant thereto. The court may award costs of suit which may include, if the plaintiff prevails and the court deems the defense without substantial merit, the attorney's fees incurred by the plaintiff or so much thereof as the court finds reasonable. (Added 1969, No. 270 (Adj. Sess.), eff. July 1, 1970; amended 1971, No. 81, eff. April 16, 1971; 1973, No. 193 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. April 9, 1974.)