The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : UNION MUNICIPAL DISTRICTS(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 4866)
§ 4866. Powers and duties
A union municipal district may:
(1) Hire and fix the compensation of employees.
(2) Contract with consultants and other experts for services.
(3) Contract with the State of Vermont or the federal government, or any agency or department thereof, for services.
(4) Contract with any participating municipality for the services of any officers or employees of that municipality useful to it.
(5) Contract with a county sheriff to provide law enforcement services to the union district.
(6) Promote cooperative arrangements and coordinated action among its participating municipalities.
(7) Make recommendations for review and action to its participating municipalities and other public agencies which perform functions within the region in which its participating municipalities are located.
(8) Exercise any other powers which are exercised or are capable of exercise by any of its participating municipalities, and necessary or desirable for dealing with problems of mutual concern.
(9) Borrow money and issue evidence of indebtedness as provided by chapter 53 of this title. Obligations incurred under such chapter shall be the joint and several obligations of the district and of each member municipality but shall not affect any limitation on indebtedness of a member municipality. The cost of debt service shall be included in the annual budget of the district, and shall be allocated among the member municipalities as provided in the agreement for the allocation of the assessment for the ordinary expenses of the district. Where voter approval is required pursuant to chapter 53 of this title, the governing body of the district shall determine the number and location of polling places, and when a majority of all the voters present and voting on the question from all of the member municipalities at such meeting vote to authorize the issuance of bonds, the district shall be authorized to issue the bonds as provided in said chapter. The counting of ballots shall be conducted by the governing board of the district together with the town or city clerk from each member municipality or his or her designee. (Added 1969, No. 197 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1973, No. 250 (Adj. Sess.), § 6; 2003, No. 122 (Adj. Sess.), § 85j.)