The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : Municipal Planning Commissions(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 4325)
§ 4325. Powers and duties of planning commissions
Any planning commission created under this chapter may:
(1) Prepare a plan and amendments thereof for consideration by the legislative body and to review any amendments thereof initiated by others as set forth in subchapter 5 of this chapter.
(2) Prepare and present to the legislative body proposed bylaws and make recommendations to the legislative body on proposed amendments to such bylaws as set forth in subchapter 6 of this chapter.
(3) Administer bylaws adopted under this chapter, except to the extent that those functions are performed by a development review board.
(4) Undertake capacity studies and make recommendations on matters of land development, urban renewal, transportation, economic and social development, urban beautification and design improvements, historic and scenic preservation, the conservation of energy and the development of renewable energy resources, and wetland protection. Data gathered by the planning commission that is relevant to the geographic information system established under 3 V.S.A. § 20 shall be compatible with, useful to, and shared with that system.
(5) Prepare and present to the legislative body recommended building, plumbing, fire, electrical, housing, and related codes and enforcement procedures, and construction specifications for streets and related public improvements.
(6) Prepare and present a recommended capital budget and program for a period of five years, as set forth in section 4440 of this title, for action by the legislative body, as set forth under section 4443 of this title.
(7) Hold public meetings.
(8) Require from other departments and agencies of the municipality such available information as relates to the work of the planning commission.
(9) In the performance of its functions, enter upon land to make examinations and surveys.
(10) Participate in a regional planning program.
(11) Retain staff and consultant assistance in carrying out its duties and powers.
(12) Undertake comprehensive planning, including related preliminary planning and engineering studies.
(13) Perform such other acts or functions as it may deem necessary or appropriate to fulfill the duties and obligations imposed by, and the intent and purposes of, this chapter. (Added 1967, No. 334 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. March 23, 1968; amended 1979, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 1985, No. 188 (Adj. Sess.), § 7; 1987, No. 200 (Adj. Sess.), § 18, eff. July 1, 1989; 1993, No. 232 (Adj. Sess.), § 45, eff. March 15, 1995; 2003, No. 115 (Adj. Sess.), § 85.)