The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 3672. Definitions
(a) As used in this chapter, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings unless the context indicates another or different meaning or intent:
(1) "Town" means any municipality within the meaning of section 126 of Title 1.
(2) "Sewage system" includes such equipment, pipeline systems, and facilities as are needed for and appurtenant to the treatment or disposal of sewage and waters, including sewage treatment plants and separate pipelines and structural or nonstructural facilities as are needed for and appurtenant to the treatment or disposal of storm, surface and subsurface waters, and all properties, rights, easements, and franchises relating thereto and deemed necessary or convenient by the sewer commission for the operation thereof.
(3) "Sewage" means the used water supply of a community, including such groundwater, surface and stormwater as may or may not be mixed with liquid wastes from the community.
(4) "Storm water" means the excess water from rainfall.
(5) "Surface water" means water other than storm water flowing or standing on or over the surface of the ground.
(6) "Groundwater" means water existing beneath the surface of the ground.
(7) "Improvements" means such repairs, replacements, additions, extensions and betterments of and to a sewage system as are deemed necessary by the sewer commissioners to place or maintain such system in proper condition for its safe, efficient and economic operation or to meet requirements for service in such areas which may be served by the district and for which no existing service is being rendered.
(8) "Costs" as applied to a sewage system include the purchase price of any such system, the cost of construction, the cost of all labor, materials, machinery, and equipment, the cost of improvements, the cost of all lands, property, rights, easements, and franchises acquired, financing charges, interest prior to and during construction and, if deemed advisable by the sewer commissioners for one year after completion of construction, cost of plans and specifications, surveys and estimates of cost and of revenues, cost of engineering and legal services, and all other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of such construction.
(b) A consolidated sewer district shall be deemed to be a municipality within the meaning of section 126 of Title 1. (1967, No. 318 (Adj. Sess.), § 1b, eff. March 22, 1968; amended 2001, No. 109 (Adj. Sess.), § 10, eff. May 16, 2002.)