The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 005 : STATEWIDE TAX INCREMENT FINANCING(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 1891)
§ 1891. Definitions
When used in this subchapter:
(1) "Municipality" means a city, town, or incorporated village.
(2) "District" or "TIF" means a tax increment financing district.
(3) "Legislative body" means the mayor and alderboard, the city council, the selectboard, and the president and trustees of an incorporated village, as appropriate.
(4) "Improvements" means the installation, new construction, or reconstruction of infrastructure that will serve a public purpose and fulfill the purpose of tax increment financing districts as stated in section 1893 of this subchapter, including utilities, transportation, public facilities and amenities, land and property acquisition and demolition, and site preparation.
(5) "Original taxable value" means the total valuation as determined in accordance with 32 V.S.A. chapter 129 of all taxable real property located within the tax increment financing district as of the creation date as set forth in section 1892 of this subchapter, provided that no parcel within the district shall be divided or bisected by the district boundary.
(6) "Related costs" means expenses incurred and paid by the municipality, exclusive of the actual cost of constructing and financing improvements, that are directly related to the creation and implementation of the tax increment financing district, including reimbursement of sums previously advanced by the municipality for those purposes. Related costs may include direct municipal expenses such as departmental or personnel costs related to creating or administering the district to the extent they are paid from the tax increment realized from municipal and not education taxes and using only that portion of the municipal increment above the required percentage in servicing the debt as determined in accordance with subsection 1894(f) of this subchapter.
(7) "Financing" means debt incurred, including principal, interest, and any fees or charges directly related to that debt, or other instruments or borrowing used by a municipality to pay for improvements in a tax increment financing district, only if authorized by the legal voters of the municipality in accordance with section 1894 of this subchapter. Payment for the cost of district improvements may also include direct payment by the municipality using the district increment. However, such payment is also subject to a vote by the legal voters of the municipality in accordance with section 1894 of this subchapter and, if not included in the tax increment financing plan approved under subsection 1894(d) of this subchapter, is also considered a substantial change and subject to the review process provided by subdivision 1901(3) of this subchapter. If interfund loans within the municipality are used as the method of financing, no interest shall be charged.
(8) "Committed" means pledged and appropriated for the purpose of the current and future payment of tax increment financing incurred in accordance with section 1894 of this subchapter and related costs as defined in this section. (Added 1985, No. 87; amended 2005, No. 184 (Adj. Sess.), § 2a; 2007, No. 190 (Adj. Sess.), § 54, eff. June 6, 2008; 2013, No. 80, § 2.)