Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2023-2024 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.

NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.

Title 24 : Municipal and County Government

Chapter 035 : Town Clerks

(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 1154)
  • § 1154. Records; copies

    (a) A town clerk shall record in the land records, at length or by accurate, legible copy, in books to be furnished by the town:

    (1) deeds;

    (2) instruments or evidences respecting real estate;

    (3) writs of execution, other writs or the substance thereof, and the returns thereon;

    (4) hazardous waste site information and hazardous waste storage, treatment, and disposal certifications established under 10 V.S.A. chapter 159;

    (5) underground storage tank information under 10 V.S.A. chapter 59;

    (6) municipal land use permits (as defined in section 4303 of this title) or notices of municipal land use permits as provided for in subsection (c) of this section, notices of violation of ordinances or bylaws relating to municipal land use, and notices of violation of municipal land use permits;

    (7) denials of municipal land use permits;

    (8) permits, design certifications, installation certifications, and other documents required to be filed by the provisions of 10 V.S.A. chapter 64 and the rules adopted under that chapter;

    (9) other instruments delivered to the town clerk for recording.

    (b) A temporary permit (if defined by the bylaws of the municipality) is not required to be recorded.

    (c) A notice of a municipal land use permit or a notice of violation specified in subdivision (a)(6) of this section may be recorded, and if such notice is recorded, it shall list:

    (1) as grantor, the owner of record title to the property at the time the municipal land use permit or notice of violation is issued;

    (2) as grantee, the municipality issuing the permit, certificate, or notice;

    (3) the municipal or village office where the original, or a true, legible copy of the municipal land use permit may be examined;

    (4) whether an appeal of such permit, certificate, or notice has been taken;

    (5) tax map lot number or other description identifying the lot.

    (d) The town clerk shall keep in each book of record an index of reference to the instruments or records in that book. (Amended 1983, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), § 13; 1985, No. 66, § 2; 1997, No. 125 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; 1999, No. 46, § 2, eff. May 26, 1999; 2001, No. 133 (Adj. Sess.), § 8; 2003, No. 138 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)