The Vermont Statutes Online
Title 23 : Motor Vehicles
Chapter 010 : TRANSPORTATION NETWORK COMPANIES(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 751)
§ 751. Driver requirements; background checks
(a) A company shall not allow an individual to act as a driver on the company’s network without requiring the individual to submit to the company an application that includes:
(1) the individual’s name, address, and date of birth;
(2) a copy of the individual’s driver’s license;
(3) a copy of the registration for the personal vehicle that the individual will use to provide prearranged rides; and
(4) proof of financial responsibility for the personal vehicle described in subdivision (3) of this subsection of a type and in the amounts required by the company.
(b)(1) A company shall not allow an individual to act as a driver on the company’s network unless, with respect to the driver, the company:
(A) contracts with an accredited entity to conduct a local, State, and national background check of the individual, including the multistate-multijurisdiction criminal records locator or other similar national database, the U.S. Department of Justice national sex offender public website, and the Vermont sex offender public website;
(B) confirms that the individual is at least 18 years of age and, if the individual is 18 years of age, that he or she has at least one year of driving experience or has been issued a commercial driver license; and
(C) confirms that the individual possesses proof of registration, automobile liability insurance, and proof of inspection if required by the state of vehicle registration for the vehicle to be used to provide prearranged rides.
(2) The background checks required by this subsection shall be conducted annually by the company.
(3) With respect to an individual who is a driver as of July 1, 2018, the requirements of subdivision (1)(A) of this subsection (b) shall be deemed satisfied if the background check is completed within 30 days of July 1, 2018 or if a background check that satisfies the requirements of subdivision (1)(A) of this subsection (b) was conducted by the company on or after July 1, 2017. This subdivision shall not be construed to exempt drivers from undergoing an annual background check as required under subdivision (2) of this subsection (b).
(c) A company shall not allow an individual to act as a driver on the company’s network if the company knows or should know that the individual:
(1) has been convicted within the last seven years of:
(A) a listed crime as defined in 13 V.S.A. § 5301(7);
(B) a felony level violation of 18 V.S.A. chapter 84 for selling, dispensing, or trafficking a regulated drug;
(C) a violation of section 1201 (operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs) of this title;
(D) a felony violation of 13 V.S.A. chapter 47 (frauds) or 57 (larceny and embezzlement); or
(E) a comparable offense in another jurisdiction;
(2) has been convicted within the last three years of:
(A) more than three moving violations as defined in subdivision 4(44) of this title;
(B) grossly negligent operation of a motor vehicle in violation of section 1091 of this title or operating with a suspended or revoked license in violation of section 674 of this title; or
(C) a comparable offense in another jurisdiction;
(3) has been subject to a civil suspension within the last five years under section 1205 (operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs) of this title; or
(4) is listed on the U.S. Department of Justice national sex offender public website or the Vermont sex offender public website or has been convicted of homicide, manslaughter, kidnapping, or an offense involving sexual exploitation of children in violation of 13 V.S.A. chapter 64.
(d) A company shall establish and enforce a zero tolerance policy for drug and alcohol use by drivers during any period when a driver is engaged in, or is logged on to the company’s network but is not engaged in, a prearranged ride. The policy shall include provisions for investigations of alleged policy violations and the suspension of drivers under investigation.
(e) A company shall require that a personal vehicle used to provide prearranged rides comply with all applicable laws and regulations concerning vehicle equipment. (Added 2018, No. 3 (Sp. Sess.), § 2; amended 2019, No. 131 (Adj. Sess.), § 163.)