The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 006 : MOTORCYCLE RIDER TRAINING PROGRAM(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 734)
§ 734. Instructor requirements and training
(a) The Department shall establish standards for an approved motorcycle rider training instructor preparation course. Successful completion of the course shall require the participant to demonstrate knowledge of the course material, knowledge of safe motorcycle operating practices, riding proficiency, and the necessary aptitude for instructing students.
(b) The Department shall establish minimum requirements for the qualifications of a rider training instructor. The minimum requirements shall include the following:
(1) the instructor shall have a high school diploma or its equivalent;
(2) the instructor shall be at least 21 years of age and must hold a valid motorcycle endorsement;
(3) the instructor shall have at least four years of motorcycle riding experience during the last five years;
(4) the instructor's driver's license shall not have been suspended or revoked at any time during the preceding two years;
(5) the instructor shall not have any convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the preceding five years;
(6) instructors who are licensed in other states shall furnish certified copies of their driving records to the Department;
(7) an applicant shall not be eligible for instructor status until his or her driving record for the preceding five years, or the maximum number of years less than five for which a state retains driving records, is furnished; and
(8) the instructor shall have an approved instructor certificate which may be a state or motorcycle safety foundation certificate, and the instructor must be registered as a currently active instructor.
(c) Temporary, seasonal employees of the Department of Motor Vehicles hired to provide motorcycle safety instruction, as well as any assistant instructors or range aides hired on a temporary, seasonal basis to provide or assist in the provision of motorcycle safety instruction, shall be exempt from the classified service created in 3 V.S.A. chapter 13. (Added 1989, No. 268 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. June 21, 1990; amended 2001, No. 116 (Adj. Sess.), § 12, eff. May 28, 2002.)