The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : DRIVER TRAINING SCHOOL LICENSES(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 701)
§ 701. Definitions
The following terms when used in this subchapter shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section unless the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) "Commissioner" means the Vermont Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.
(2) "Department" means the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.
(3) "Driver training" means the instruction for hire in the driving of motor vehicles or in the preparation of an applicant for examination given by the Department for a driver's license, but not including instruction given by employers to their employees.
(4) "Driver training school" means any person engaged in providing driver training through one or more instructors, but not including a public or private school conducting a course in driver training approved by the Secretary of Education and the Commissioner.
(5) "Established place of business" means a location approved by the Commissioner at which the business of a driver's training school is transacted and at which its records are kept.
(6) "Instructor" means any person engaged in giving driver training.
(7) The terms "licensee" and "applicant" as applied to a firm, partnership, or association include the members thereof and as applied to a corporation include the officers and directors thereof.
(8) "Person" means any individual, combination of individuals, firm, partnership, or corporation; whenever used in any provision of this subchapter which prescribes or imposes a fine or imprisonment, or both, the term "person," as applied to a firm, partnership, or association, shall include the members thereof and, as applied to a corporation, the officers thereof; a firm, partnership, association, or corporation may be subjected as an entity to the payment of a fine. (Added 1959, No. 153, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1960; amended 1999, No. 110 (Adj. Sess.), § 4; 2015, No. 47, § 19.)