Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2021-2022 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 23 : Motor Vehicles

Chapter 007 : REGISTRATION

Subchapter 005 : Display of Number Plates

(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 516)
  • § 516. Sale of vehicle to go out of State by a person other than dealer

    The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles is authorized to issue an in-transit registration permit for the purpose of movement over the highways of certain motor vehicles otherwise required to be registered when the vehicles are sold in this State by a person, other than a registered motor vehicle dealer, to be transported to and registered in another state or province. The registration may be obtained by submitting an application on a form prescribed and furnished by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. The Commissioner is authorized to charge a fee of $6.00 for the processing of the application and the issuance of the plate. The in-transit registration plate pursuant to this section shall be valid for a period of 30 days from issuance and shall be in the form and design prescribed by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles. Issuance of an in-transit plate for vehicles sold by a registered motor vehicle dealer to a person to be transported to and registered in another state or province shall be governed by the provisions of section 463 of this title. (Added 1979, No. 30, § 2, eff. April 17, 1979; amended 1985, No. 30, § 3; 1995, No. 120 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2003, No. 35, § 2; 2015, No. 159 (Adj. Sess.), § 32.)