The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : Registration of Dealers and Transporters(Cite as: 23 V.S.A. § 454)
§ 454. Dealer's use of vehicles or motorboats
(a) A motor vehicle owned by a dealer may be operated, while so owned, under the distinguishing number assigned to him or her as provided in this subchapter, for the following purposes and uses:
(1) For the purpose of testing or adjusting the vehicle in the immediate vicinity of his or her place of business.
(2) For some purpose directly connected with the dealer business, purchasing, selling, or exchanging motor vehicles by the dealer. The words "directly connected" for the purposes of this subdivision shall not be construed to include towing service unless the disabled vehicle is being towed to or from the dealer's place of business for repair purposes, nor shall it include the transport of crushed vehicles unless all of the vehicles being so transported are properly recorded in the records of the dealer as required by section 466 of this title.
(3) For a demonstration when the prospective purchaser is operating the vehicle, and then only for a period not to exceed three days.
(4) For the temporary accommodation of a customer of the dealer when a motor vehicle properly registered under the law of the state of residence of the customer, because of accident or wear, is disabled and is left with the dealer for repairs and then only for a period not exceeding seven days.
(5) For the private pleasure use of the dealer and members of his or her immediate family residing in the same household.
(6) For the use of the vehicles at funerals or in public parades when no charge or rental is made for the use.
(b) The word "dealer" for the purposes of subdivision (a)(5) of this section shall include such of the principal officers of a corporation registered as dealer and such of the partners in a co-partnership registered as dealer as are actively and principally engaged in the motor vehicle business and in any event shall include only those persons listed on the application for a registered dealer submitted to the Department, but shall not include directors and stockholders nor inactive and silent partners.
(c) A snowmobile, motorboat, or all-terrain vehicle dealer may only use a dealer's number plate or dealer registration number in accordance with sections 3204, 3305, and 3504 of this title, respectively. (Amended 1965, No. 204, § 9; 1975, No. 218 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 7a, 7b, eff. April 1, 1976; 1995, No. 112 (Adj. Sess.), § 8, eff. April 22, 1996; 2015, No. 50, § 2.)