The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : GENERAL PROVISIONS(Cite as: 22 V.S.A. § 606)
§ 606. Other duties and functions
The Department, in addition to the functions specified in section 605 of this title:
(1) Shall administer any grants-in-aid to libraries which may be available from State funds, and may prepare plans and applications to obtain federal aid monies which may be available.
(2) Shall provide consultative services to other libraries in the State, and shall encourage formation of central records of library holdings.
(3) Shall promote improved communications among libraries in the State as well as cooperative use of facilities.
(4) May provide facilities in cooperation with other libraries for storage of little-used materials.
(5) May conduct seminars, workshops, and other programs to increase the professional competence of librarians in the State.
(6) May receive and administer gifts of real and personal property accepted by the Governor on behalf of the State under 29 V.S.A. § 101.
(7) May dispose of by sale or exchange, or may discard, material which is obsolete or has ceased to be useful, because of its physical condition or otherwise. Any proceeds from the sale or disposition of materials shall be credited to a special fund established and managed pursuant to 32 V.S.A. chapter 7, subchapter 5, and shall be available to the Department for the purchase of library materials.
(8) Shall be the primary access point for State information, and provide advice on State information technology policy. (Added 1969, No. 226 (Adj. Sess.), § 4, eff. March 31, 1970; amended 1995, No. 148 (Adj. Sess.), §§ 4(a), 11, eff. May 6, 1996; 1997, No. 59, § 15, eff. June 30, 1997; 2009, No. 33, § 44; 2009, No. 91 (Adj. Sess.), § 10, eff. May 6, 2010.)