The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
Subchapter 002 : Extended Benefits Program(Cite as: 21 V.S.A. § 1423)
§ 1423. Eligibility requirements for extended benefits
(a) An individual shall be eligible to receive extended benefits with respect to any week of unemployment in his or her eligibility period only if the Commissioner finds that with respect to such week:
(1) he or she is an “exhaustee” as defined in section 1421 of this title,
(2) he or she has satisfied the requirements of this chapter for the receipt of regular benefits that are applicable to individuals claiming extended benefits, including not being subject to a disqualification for the receipt of benefits.
(3) For eligibility periods based upon benefit years beginning on and after January 3, 1988 and before March 7, 1993, the total wages paid which established that benefit year must equal or exceed one and one-half times the wages paid in the highest quarter of that base period.
(4) For eligibility periods based upon benefit years beginning on and after March 7, 1993, the total wages paid which established that benefit year must exceed 40 times the individual’s most recent weekly benefit amount.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, an individual shall not be eligible for extended benefits for any week if:
(1) extended benefits are payable for such week pursuant to an interstate claim filed in any state under the interstate benefit payment plan, and
(2) no extended benefit period is in effect for such week in such state.
(c) Subsection (b) of this section shall not apply with respect to the first two weeks for which extended benefits are payable pursuant to an interstate claim filed under this interstate benefit payment plan to the individual from the extended compensation account established for the individual with respect to the benefit year. (Added 1971, No. 1, § 2, eff. Oct. 11, 1970; amended 1981, No. 86, § 2, eff. May 31, 1981; 1981, No. 194 (Adj. Sess.), § 6, eff. April 22, 1982; 1985, No. 146 (Adj. Sess.), § 5; 1993, No. 58, §§ 2, 3, eff. June 3, 1993.)